top of page


Some carers, following a Carers Assessment, are offered respite as they are assessed as needing a regular or semi regular break from their caring role.


From April 2015 Lancashire County Council introduced 3 ways you can receive respite.

Photo of a young carer

Rolling Respite

This can be used if you already know which provider you want to use to have your short break - you book the dates you want direct with the provider

Planned Episodes of Care

This can be used if you know where and when you require your short break and these are within a residential or nursing home. Your Social Worker will book the break and arrange to pay the provider.


Prepayment Card

Payment for your short break entitlement will be made on a prepayment card so you can pay the provider directly. Money will be put on the card every four weeks.


For more information contact the Customer Access Centre on 0300 123 6720.


Care Navigators

​Sourcing replacement care can sometimes seem like a challenge, however Lancashire County Council has a service to help you. The ‘Care Navigation Team’ can be used to:

  • Help you understand and use your Respite or Direct Payments

  • Help you to find suitable approved care agencies, care homes or other social care providers

  • Help you to book or arrange care

  • Help you to book one-off or longer term respite


For more information, or to use the Care Navigation Team Service, please call 0300 123 6720.

bottom of page